MAY IS NATIONAL FOSTER CARE MONTH
This is a time to shed some light on the children in foster care who deserve a safe and happy life. They need nurturing adults on their side because their own family is in crisis and is currently unable to care for them.
Since 1988, May has been recognized as National Foster Care Month. The goal of National Foster Care Month is to raise awareness about the more than 380,000 children in the foster care system and to honor the many compassionate people who make a difference by being foster parents, adoptive parents, relative care givers, caseworkers, mentors, volunteers, elected officials and advocates. Thanks to these heroes, the number of children in foster care has decreased. But more help is needed.
There are many ways you can help and get involved to make a lasting difference to children in foster care!
1. Wear a blue ribbon during May to support National Foster Care Month.
2. Tie a blue ribbon around a tree, mail box or the post of your front porch to increase awareness of foster care.
3. Keep informed of the issues about foster care and gain a better understanding of these needs.
5. Become foster parents!
6. Look into being a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA).
7. Collect items to be used in a "Kits for Kids" bag to be given to children when they enter care. (More information under Programs & Services). This is also a great way to encourage your place of employment, church or other group organization to help and support the young people in foster care.
Now is the time to get involved! You have the power to do something positive that will CHANGE A LIFETIME for a child in foster care.
We had a Proclamation Signing with the Governor on May 15 and an Open House immediately following. We had a great turnout in support of foster care. We hope to see even more of you next year!
June 8, 2013 we will have two wonderful trainings in North Platte. Darkness to Light Stewards of Children and CAN 101 (Child Abuse and Neglect). More information available under the Education/Training tab. This training is sponsored by:
Watch the Education/Training Tab and our calendar for additional trainings being offered around Nebraska.